Volvo race leg 1
Post by iconPost by nitros | 2017-10-13 | 20:58:36

Hi all,

Which sails and options do you suggest to buy for Volvo race leg 1?

Thank you

commenticon 12 Comments
Post by iconPost by YourMomSA | 2017-10-13 | 22:45:38
I think we need to wait a week or so... Too soon to be sure.

We'll probably need the light sails and the C0. Whether or not there will be value in having foils or heavy sails will be TBD. They weren't needed for Prologue. (I didn't buy them)
Post by iconPost by nitros | 2017-10-13 | 22:51:59
Ok, let wait and update this tread
Post by iconPost by freudenoli | 2017-10-15 | 04:26:44
this leg is VSR6...does anybody know if there are points leg by leg only or if there will be an overall ranking + points as well?
Post by iconPost by Inicio | 2017-10-15 | 08:14:23
Both. As in all new system regattas.
See the Ranking window. Race and Leg.
Post by iconPost by freudenoli | 2017-10-16 | 16:01:22
i saw this...but the zanzib cup ended weeks ago and no overall points have been distributed....also, I could not find any info as to which VSR category the overall result is and how many legs count for the VOR overall results..
Post by iconPost by Toppen | 2017-10-15 | 16:26:33
I didn't buy foils or heavy sails for the Prologue either. I have already bought light sails, heavy sails, foils and C0 for leg 1 - the wind looks to be stronger but even if it lightens a bit i won't take the chance not to have everything..
Post by iconPost by zezo | 2017-10-15 | 19:19:35
At the current prices it's probably best to buy the full pack and keep the earned credits for navigation cards.

I haven't bought the foils for VOR Leg 1 yet, but will, if there is a chance of more than 10 knots wind.

BTW even if foils are proved not to work there is no guarantee they will not work in the next leg, and you can't upgrade after the start.
Post by iconPost by marcusbelgicus | 2017-10-16 | 22:57:21
If the weather forecast does not change, we will need heavy sails and foils to be competitive. And the nights should be very short....
But the weather can still change 10 times....
Post by iconPost by YourMomSA | 2017-10-17 | 00:56:13
What's the current belief about the circumstances where foils would help, if they work? I think Cvetan said it was something like 16+ knots with TWA 80-160? It looks like we'll see that for a little while, not not very long.

If Cvetan's polars are correct, the heavy sails kick in at 18.8 kts, only at upwind and downwind angles (reaching is still C0). Whether or not we'll see that is still iffy. Although I guess anyone wanting to win shouldn't be risking saving a few credits on "iffy".
Post by iconPost by nitros | 2017-10-17 | 20:54:09
They changed the race?
Post by iconPost by zezo | 2017-10-17 | 21:34:21
In the real world there are 4 possible courses and they said that the final decision will be made shortly before the start, depending on the forecast. The forecast looks promising right now, so it may be Madeira.

Anyway, there is only one route to Gibraltar, and it looks like we'll need the full pack after all.
Post by iconPost by marcusbelgicus | 2017-10-17 | 23:07:10
Yes we will need to go to Porto Santo then back to Lisboa....more open than expected. And we will need the full pack to be competitive it seems. And a full pack of navigation cards or don't sleep !!! Ummh, will check if I can take a day-off, otherwise, I won't be very 'competitive' at work yeyeye!!!!
border
Topics list
Posts
border
60
border
border
7
border
border
26
border
border
53
border
border
42
border
border
12
border
border
Copyright 2009 by ZEZO.ORG. All Rights Reserved.